S.'s Reviews > Galaxy of Heroes

Galaxy of Heroes by Gus Flory

Jun 12, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction

Hoo boy.

It's surprisingly difficult to win a book, complete with a personal and very affable letter from the author, and discover it's not your cup of tea.

Good Sci-Fi is soul food to me; it has the capacity to light me up like no other genre, to tilt my brain towards the extraordinary, to review familiar ideas from bizarre angles and watch strange hatchling thoughts emerge from my vertiginous mind.

There's a lot to be said for the other Sci-Fi that is more basic and two-dimensionally space-operatic and as such, this book does exactly what it says on the tin, including sex, violence, none too-dimensional males and females pitting their gender differences against each other at a fairly base level, and ripping battle scenes in the dark unforgiving black.

For me, it just lacks form a little too much: I kept wishing the tech was explained in more depth. How, for example, does Tanaka's ability to mentally glean information from every corner of the 'verse work exactly? How do Genie's bio-mechanical parts work together to make a working functional Bot Fatale?

The writing itself was quite clunky, the sentences didn't flow too well and some of the descriptions lacked vibrancy or could simply have been more fleshed out.

There are sub-genres within Sci-Fi and this book belongs firmly in the Shoot-Em-Up pulp one. With tits.
Edgar Rice Burroughs is part of this very genre, although his writing is better. But at the end of the day there are lesser names to be mentioned in one breath with.

So not my thing, but definately marketable. Like Star Trek:Voyager.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Galaxy of Heroes.