Afsana's Reviews > U Is for Undertow

U Is for Undertow by Sue Grafton

May 13, 2010

liked it
Read in July, 2010

I thought this was an interesting idea of the boy who cried wolf and then would not be believed.

It was told from different view points, the past and present and different characters and that made it interesting

What I don't quite get and which the book didn't explain was how the the "boy who cried wolf" could have been telling the truth when he couldn't have possibly witnessed as he was in another country and this was the documented by photogrphic proof? it made it unlikely- how as a writer can you prove the "hero" is lying and then not offer an explanation as to how come he saw the event that actually occured whilst in another country

That is why I gave it a 3 star

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read U Is for Undertow.

Jeanine yes, I had forgotten that that very question had crossed my mind as well. I do wish we had found that out which would have rounded off his character in the story. But overall, I enjoy the book very much!

Afsana i enjoyed it aswell it would have been a four but for that big inconsistency. I only give 5's to the really outstanding

Angiemarie Thank you! I thought I had missed something that explained that inconsistency.

Afsana thats wht I had thought originally- must have not obsorbed the info but it seems not

message 5: by Silver (new)

Silver Threads I had the same problem with the time conflict. Supposedly the evidence was strong that he could not have seen what he saw at the time he thought. Yet, the perpetrators knew he was there and at the end it was accepted. The discrepancy was irritating. Sue Grafton, can you explain?

Afsana it was very irritating and disapoointing as we will never know and even moreso nowing that it wasn't me just overlooking it

MAybe will go on website and put a comment on and see if get response now that I know i wasn't just overlooking it

Katherine i was also confused and disappointed this was left without explanation. the whole premise of the mystery was him seeing the event, but then it proves he couldn't have, but really did? it was pretty important, but grafton just left it ignored. to me, this is typical of alot of her books. the story is good right up until the ending that is poorly explained or makes no sense. a let down after reading the whole novel.

Afsana yes I suppose you are right abrupt endings

Sarai He didn't see them burying the girl! Henry was right & they had buried the money from Rain's kidnapping when they realised it was marked - that's what Sutton saw them burying (the week before Mary was kidnapped). Then when they realised he had seen them they dug up the money aain & replaced it with the stolen dog - and later buried the money and Mary under the water heater.

Afsana Sarai wrote: "He didn't see them burying the girl! Henry was right & they had buried the money from Rain's kidnapping when they realised it was marked - that's what Sutton saw them burying (the week before Mary..."

thanks sarai

so all of it was a comcidence? whic still led to their capture

Sarai Kind of - he had seen the 2 men burying something & made the right connection with the murder. So when he recognised Walter it was the right person, even though he saw them a week before he thought & they were burying the money rather than the body. But eventually it all led back to the same people & the right conclusion!

Afsana i may have to reed that again

had contemplated reading the end again straight after the firdt time i read it but went against it.

message 13: by Ex-minn (new)

Ex-minn There's still the problem of his being away on his birthday and the Kirkendalls having left town already. It's a glaring error or I'm missing something subtle.

Afsana Ex-minn wrote: "There's still the problem of his being away on his birthday and the Kirkendalls having left town already. It's a glaring error or I'm missing something subtle."

i think there is an unanswered qu

but normally she is on the ball

message 15: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate McLachlan He didn't see anything on his birthday. It was the week before. Rain had been kidnapped, but Mary Claire hadn't been kidnapped yet. He was out of town whem MC was kidnapped, not when Rain was kidnapped.

message 16: by Ex-minn (new)

Ex-minn I thought that the point was that his memory was valid, even if he didn't know what was being buried. His memory included the two elements of the birthday and the Kirkendalls. This is what I'm finding difficult.

message 17: by Mary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mary He wasn't in another country, his family went to Disneyland - right there in California

message 18: by Afsana (last edited Feb 12, 2012 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Afsana Mary wrote: "He wasn't in another country, his family went to Disneyland - right there in California"

still for a child his age too young to be able to travel on own see it then return to disneyworld

Jennifer Mcgown He got the dates mixed up -he witnessed the "burial" the week before his birthday. It was the loot from the first crime. Then the next week he went to Disneyland for his birthday.

Afsana Jennifer wrote: "He got the dates mixed up -he witnessed the "burial" the week before his birthday. It was the loot from the first crime. Then the next week he went to Disneyland for his birthday."

that rings a bell

thanks for clearing it up

message 21: by Gail (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gail Davis He witnessed the burial of the $15k from the first attempt...