Adam Spektor's Reviews > Seize the Day

Seize the Day by Saul Bellow

May 14, 2010

Read from May 12 to 13, 2010

Despite its short length and clear plot, "Seize the Day" is deceivingly difficult to pin down, as any morals one would attempt to derive from what, at its surface, may appear to be a moralistic story, are convoluted and unclear. At times, this novel seemed like a borderline self-help book, only to take an unexpected left turn into emotional obscurity and blunt emphasis on life's drudgeries. This isn't to say that "Seize the Day" is nihilistic either; it's excellently shaped into the sort of story where each reader can gain a different insight from the variety of ideas it has to offer.

The characters are thoroughly human, at turns evoking sympathy and disgust from the reader. Down-and-out Tommy Wilhelm brilliantly represents the sort of person that each and every one of us fears we will become and who many of us end up being at some point in life, encapsulating feelings that are at turns both helpless and hopeful. Dr. Tamkin is also utterly fascinating and multi-faceted, leaving both Wilhelm and the reader unsure of his validity, yet desperately wanting to still have faith in him.

Saul Bellow's "Seize the Day" left an unexpected impression on me, and for that reason, and also because its brief length should lend this to be an inconsequential read, I recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seize the Day.

05/12/2010 page 97