Steph's Reviews > Bespelling Jane Austen

2142019
Oct 26, 10

bookshelves: arc-netgalley, year-read-2010, anthology, author-웃
Read from October 16 to 26, 2010

Bespelling Jane Austen was a change for me. I don't typically like historicals and/or Jane Austen books, but I am a fan of Jane Austen movies. I wanted to give this anthology a go mainly to read Colleen Gleason's story, since I'm a huge fan of her Gardella Vampire Chronicles series.

I'm not sure how die-hard Jane Austen fans will feel about the book and the authors' "para-mash-ups". Some of the stories were harder for me to get through than others. If I hadn't been reading this one for a NetGalley/Publisher ARC review, I would've probably read only Colleen's story. But, reading it through allowed me to get another look at work by Susan Krinard and read a bit by unfamiliar (to me) authors Mary Balogh and Janet Mullany.

I especially liked the intro letters by the authors to the reader before each story. It gave you a peek into their thoughts behind writing a paranormal Austen story.

Almost Persuaded (Persuasion) by Mary Balogh
Jane Everett and Captain Robert Mitford experience eternal love, but face obstacle after obstacle. This story of reincarnation was interesting, but felt a bit rushed. It must be hard to work us, readers, into the characters' story, build it up and wrap it up all in a short story. This is the first story I've read by this author. (2★)

Northanger Castle (Northanger Abbey) by Colleen Gleason
Caroline Merrill is obsessed with Gothic novels. She's convinced vampires are out to get her and the women of Bath, England. The story is told with a sense of humor and parts had me laughing. I am a big fan of Gleasons' Gardella Vampire Chronicles and was happy to have a bit more of her writing to read as I await her Regency Draculia series to be released. (4★)

Blood and Prejudice (Pride and Prejudice) by Susan Krinard
In Krinard's story, Darcy is a vampire. This being one of Austen's stories I am most familiar with, it was interesting to see the main characters in a modern setting with a paranormal element. Overall, the story was just okay for me. This was the second story I've read by this author, neither of which have me looking to pursue her other series/books. (2★)

Little to Hex Her (Emma) by Janet Mullany
Emma is in Washington, DC, helping run a supernatural dating service. She's also a witch. I really enjoyed this story. The author's retelling flowed nicely, although it would've been nice to have a bit more Knightley. I will look further into this author's other books. (3★)

Overall Rating: 2.75/3★

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin for giving me the opportunity to read this book free-of-charge.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bespelling Jane Austen.

10/19/2010 page 94
24.0% "One story down, three to go ... I like the authors' letters to the reader at the start of their story."
show 1 hidden update…