D.K.'s Reviews > In the Night of the Heat

In the Night of the Heat by Blair Underwood

Jul 04, 10

Read from May 12 to July 03, 2010

Tennyson Hardwick has struggled to live a normal life, raising a teenager, living with his wheelchair bound father and trying to get a grasp of being romantically involved with one woman. That simply life is rudely interrupted when football legend T. D. Jackson who has received several threats after his acquittal for murder, asked Tennyson, an old college acquaintance, to look into these threats. Tennyson turns him down flat, but later regrets that decision when Jackson is found dead, presumably because he has committed suicide in his own home.

Hired by T. D’s father to investigate the death, Tennyson quickly discovers that things aren’t what they appear to be. The truth behind the football legend’s death surrounds an old football game that dates back to the late 1960’s. No one involved with the game wants to talk about the old days, not even T. D’s father. At the same time, Tennyson is trying to deal with his recent split with his girlfriend of the past year, April, who has taken a job in Africa.

Authors Blair Underwood, Tananarive Due and Steven Barnes did an excellent job with this book. The story has everything you need for a great mystery, suspense, action and clues that truly make sense by the end of the novel. I had a hard time putting ‘In the Night of the Heat: A Tennyson Hardwick Novel’ down at times, especially at the end, where the excitement and tension had me glued to my chair. This is book two 2 in the series, but you don’t necessarily have to read the first one to enjoy this but, though I do recommend you do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Night of the Heat.

06/09/2010 page 100