ElaineY's Reviews > Nine-Tenths of the Law

Nine-Tenths of the Law by L.A. Witt

May 16, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, mm, 1st-person
Read in May, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I actually liked this very much at the beginning but somewhere along what was becoming a lovely romance, it turned into a "Aargh! Get the hell outta there, Zach!!!". Nathan, who started off quite a catch, turns into this jealous, suspicious, whiny thing. Talk about Dr Jekyll-Mr Hyde transformations. I got truly freaked out by Nathan's obsessive behavior and when Zach himself has had enough of Nathan's distrust and suspicion, he breaks things off. I was so relieved.

Since this happens close to the end of the book, I had to wonder what was this story about? Warning me that even the most attractive partner can turn into a pathologically jealous and needy person, and that nothing, nothing I do will ever make him trust me because his ex cheated on him? Okay, so his ex is also my ex (that was the good part of the book) but as a romance with a (supposedly) HFN, Nathan's behavior was way too much for me to believe in an HEA with a guy like him.

I also couldn't help wishing the author allowed these two guys to actually converse with each other. It's not until the last few pages of the book that Zach gets to complete a few sentences. Nathan doesn't even get to finish a line through much of the book, I'd say. Their dialogue throughout 90% of the book consists of, "Oh God...", "Oh, please...", "God, no, Please don't --", "Fuck, please...". This isn't just Nathan, it's both of them.

Written in 1st person POV, I did get a very good sense of Zach and I liked him very much. Respect was added to that when he finally told Nathan he wasn't putting up with his crap anymore - the checking up on him, the questioning etc. I couldn't help wishing Zach would find someone worthy of him. Maybe even Dylan, his business partner (who is straight but in my mental re-write, I turned him into a GFY character).

There's also the constant internal monologue going on with Zach but nothing for Nathan so it was very unbalanced in that sense as well as a huge disfavor to Nathan. With nothing to help me feel his pain due to what happened in his previous relationships, there was no way for me to be sympathetic when time and time again, he believes Zach is fooling around on him.

As I said, I was enjoying this very much at the start and Nathan turning out the way he does,, was an awful, awful surprise. In the end, the HFN was not at all convincing for me and I was left strongly believing Zach made a very big mistake.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine-Tenths of the Law.

Kassa What's funny is that I had the opposite reaction. I thought Zach was a bit unsympathetic and had no idea why they got back together? What got worked out? I wanted to throw it.

ElaineY LOL! At least our conclusion agreed: why did they get back together?!!