Charles Gelman's Reviews > Vanishing Act: Mystery at the U.S. Open

Charles gelman 7-2
5/12/10
Vanishing Act by: John Feinstein
By: Charles Gelman

Vanishing Act by John Feinstein is a book about a young tennis player who is kidnapped at the U.S Open match. This book involves many strengths and weaknesses from the author’s writing. In my opinion, I would give this book two and a half stars out of five. I say this because of the great amount of weaknesses the novel owns. The book’s cons start with how the story drags. The story takes half of the book to start the conflict. I think the book also does not lead into the conflict well. I believe that characters are often mixed up. Pros of this book are the author’s explaining and writing of everything in the conflict. Meaning that the vocabulary in this book is easy to understand and read. John Feinstein is a very gifted kid’s author who does a very nice job writing books that are easy to understand. I think this book could have been put into conflict much faster keeping the novel interesting. I think this book would be good for someone who starts a book and needs to finish it. I say this because I am someone who puts books down if I don’t think they are good. This book gets two and a half stars out of five rating because of the difference of weaknesses over strengths.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vanishing Act.

Jalen Knowlton I like the way you used facts and opinions to give a really good review, however, I strongly disagree with many of your points. The first thing that I disagree with is you saying that the story drags out. I think Feinstein did a a great job of giving a good amount of supporting information before starting the conflict. He described the events leading to the conflict fully so that all the background information could sink in and be fully understood. The conflict actually begins on page 47 when Nadia Symanova doesn't show up for the tennis match, nowhere near half of the book.

One thing I can agree with is that there are many characters in the book but they're not confusing because they are only there for about a sentence or two. Feinstein is a writer that uses the name of real sports journalists, sports analysts, players, and television networks. The way that he writes makes it seem the like the reporters are reporting the stories on TV in front you. The way that Feinstein kept you guessing the entire book was nerve-wrecking. Right when you thought you knew for sure Nadia Symanova had been taken by the Russians he twists it and makes Susan Carol's Uncle Gibson the mastermind behind the entire plot. Feinstein is great at keeping your mind going in different directions until the mystery is solved.

This book was very good. It kept me interested the entire time. My favorite part was in the end when Stevie and Susan Carol finally kissed and she told him "Just remember, Evelyn Rubin is not your girlfriend. I am." Sports, mystery and a little love, another book couldn't be much better.