Julie's Reviews > Night Play

Night Play by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 16, 10

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2010
Read in November, 2010

Vane. That is one name that often comes up when I mention to people that I am reading Sherrilyn Kenyon’s Dark-Hunter series. “Oh that Vane, he’s so hot!”, “Oh that Vane, he’s so dreamy!”, “Oh that Vane, he can take me up against a tree and growl in my ear any day!” Ooookay then… So, after hearing that, I was quite excited to finally be reading about the infamous Vane Kattalakis, the wolf man, in “Night Play”.

It was nice to step away from the “vampire” Dark-Hunter world and explore the shape shifter part of this series in Vane’s book. You don’t leave the world you’ve come to love at all. You still see Kyrian, Amanda and Nick too (which was fun), but you really get a good look into the Were-Hunter world. All the different animals that shift to human forms and the politics behind them. Sherrilyn has put such thought in her worlds that you can’t help but be impressed with the amount of specifics there are. And I like that most are animals that shift to human and not the other way around like is the norm in paranormal books. Very inventive.

Vane is a wolf. He and his brother Fang have been exiled and sentenced to die by their father thanks to an event that occurred back in book two. As with all the heroes in Sherrilyn’s books, Vane’s past sucked. But in comparison, it’s not so bad! I was glad to get a little reprieve from the gut-wrenching storyline. Yes, Vane’s mother wants him dead because his father beat her and his father wants him dead because…well because he’s an a**. Yes, Vane’s brother is in a coma of sorts and his sister was recently murdered. But, believe it or not, that’s a walk in the park compared to some of the other main guys in this series. So that too was a nice change of pace. Vane is a little lost in the human world, and is very lost when he discovers that Bride, a human, is his fated mate. He doesn’t know how to court a human female, let alone make love to one (he’s used to wolf-doggie style if you know what I’m saying *wink wink*)! But he is such a sweetheart! Following his instincts to protect his mate, he takes perfect care of Bride and makes her feel loved and cherished. *sigh*

I really though Bride was a sweet character too. These two are just so sweet together! (Hmm, how many times can I use the word ‘sweet’ in one review?) Bride is not a super skinny super model. I really admire authors who ‘go there’. Who make their heroines what might be considered by some as physically flawed, also known as normal! She’s a little chubby, always has been. She’s always been around men who are always telling her to lose weight. Until Vane that is. He makes her eat cake! I mean, how romantic is that!? And he does it in front of her mommy! *swoon* Bride is compassionate and wholesome. No strange or paranormal stuff in this lady’s past. So the fact that Vane is a wolf and that there is a whole ‘other’ world out there doesn’t come easy to her. I like that too. Sometimes I think that the heroes or heroines are just a little too accommodating, too accepting. It’s like “You’re a what?! You mean they really do exist and they are deadly and all the things you read about? Oh hell, whatever. You’re good in bed so let’s spend the rest of our lives together…” Okay, yeah. Bride is torn as to what to do and it’s refreshing to see a nice, normal gal dealing with not at all normal stuff in a nice normal fashion. I think Sherrilyn did a great job here. And I love Bride with Vane. Yet another wonderful match.

Now, as in every one of my past Dark-Hunter reviews, I must talk about Acheron. In “Night Play”, we see Ash interacting with Marissa, Kyrian and Amanda’s little baby girl. Now, if I didn’t already go all mushy wushy over Ash ever time he graced the page, that made it happen ten fold. Ash is amazing and I CAN’T WAIT TO GET TO HIS BOOK! (Acheron is book #15. Fifteen!!!) And Simi, his Demon companion is a riot! I really enjoy her. She always puts a smile on my face, especially how she makes grown men cringe. That’s the best!

You also get a quick introduction to the hero of the next book, Valerius. I’m sure his will be a tortured and sad story — and I can’t wait to get to it. But alas, I will have to wait until the opportunity arises sometime next month. I know Valerius is another favorite. Really though, is there a man in this series who is not a favorite?!

Seriously though, Vane deserves all of the *swoons* and daydreams he receives. “Night Play” is another well written and well paced installment in the Dark-Hunter series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Play.

11/10/2010 page 359
99.0% "Vane is such a sweetheart! I love his magic. And I LOVE Simi!" 2 comments

Stacey Great review, I wholeheartedly agree!!!

message 2: by Catherine (new) - added it

Catherine Nice review, Julie. You're right, Vane is one of the characters you hear the most about.