Josh's Reviews > Between the Lines: My Story Uncut

May 12, 2010

bookshelves: biography-autobiography, music, read-in-2010
Recommended for: fans of Jason Donovan
Read from May 17 to 29, 2010 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I think it would be safe to say that 95% of Americans have no idea who Jason Donovan is. If I hadn't traveled to England in the summer of 1991, I also would have no inkling who this Australian is. Jasonmania was at a high that summer, and much to the chagrin of my host family, I immediately discovered his music and responded to the pop music as well as his blonde, boy-next-door looks. Plus, he starred in one of my all-time favorite musicals on the West End in London - Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

When I discovered that he had written an autobiography about three years ago, I was curious to read it as it was hard to follow his career here in the US where he never gained famed. There was much I learned in the book, so much that I had no idea about. It's funny - we think we know stars/celebrities, but there is so much smoke and mirrors and so much we do not see. This book, written with a great deal of honesty, reveals a performer who gained fame too soon and at too young of an age. It lulled him into a false sense of security, causing him to make some unfortunate steps that further lead into years of drugs. This part was suprising because I had no idea any of this had happened in his life.

I also got more detail into an event I was aware of. Jason was mistakenly "outed" as being gay and being a hypocrite and deceiving the British public. He fought back and sued the magazine, but this move had a devastating effect on his career and state of mind. Getting more information about this was very interesting.

What I really liked about this book was the style it was written in. Because this book was published mainly for British and Australian audiences, it is filled with slang and idioms from those peoples. It gives the book some real flavor. Jason should be credited for being completely honest about everything he has been through; nothing was sugarcoated and he makes no lame excuses for some of his atrocious behavior. I enjoyed this book a great deal, and it should be used as a cautionary tale for those wanting to rush into the world of celebrity and fame.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Between the Lines.

05/18/2010 page 18