Lolly's Library's Reviews > Life As We Knew It

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

May 25, 10

bookshelves: young-adult, post-apocalyptic-sci-fi, part-of-a-series
Read from May 11 to 13, 2010

It's easy to forget how tenuous a hold we have over our civilization. The technology which makes our current lives possible, and easy; the system which gives us the clothes we wear, the food on our tables, the roofs over our heads; the gifts which fuel our communication, our education, our transportation and exploration of all things great and small; all that the current human race is built on is so fragile, when something comes along to break that delicate web, humanity is left as vulnerable as an infant. And just as prepared to survive.

If you're looking for a book which involves international conspiracies, car chases and explosions as those conspiracies are unraveled, this isn't the book for you. Instead, Life as We Knew It explores the simplest truth: How would you survive if the world as you knew and understood it changed catastrophically? Narrated through the journal entries of sixteen-year-old Miranda, the book begins with the normal trauma of a teenager. Her father, newly remarried, is having a baby with his new wife; her mother is still learning how to be a single parent; her older brother is away at college, unable to help out, and her younger brother is, well, a younger brother. Then something impossible happens: An asteroid, which was only supposed to hit the moon with a glancing blow, instead impacts with such force as to tear off chunks of our satellite and change its orbit, with disastrous consequences. Soon after, the Earth is subjected to tsunamis, earthquakes, and massive volcanic eruptions which fill the sky with ashes. Miranda's story slowly changes from one of self-involvement and self-pity into one of family obligation and sacrifice as she realizes how important the little things are. When things are at their worst, when starvation is no longer a horror but a matter-of-fact thing, when an outbreak of the flu becomes as serious as the bubonic plague, that's when something as simple as a box of stale chocolates, shared among the family, becomes a shining expression of love. Heart-wrenching and powerfully told, Life As We Knew It is a book which makes you think, which may or not be a good thing, about your life, your family, and the how much you would sacrifice to save them when the unthinkable happens.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life As We Knew It.

05/12/2010 page 146

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst This book caught my eye in the past, it sounds intriguing, so I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on the subject. :)

Lolly's Library Well, I'm almost done with it, so, if my brain cooperates, I should have a review within the next week or so. I'll tell you this, it is good, very chilling and realistic.

message 3: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst Well if you say it's good, then that's good enough for me. Never-you-mind that we may or may not have different opinions. LOL Good luck with your brain!

Lolly's Library Gosh, I didn't know that you were that easy! LOL Thanks, it's cooperating...for now. Of course, now that I've said that, I've probably jinxed the whole damn thing. :P

message 5: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst What a thoughtful review, how novel, actual thinking in a review that has to do with the book itself and isn't a rambling mess. ;P Ahh, no explosions, no car chases? *swings arm* Darn. :D Your review helped, I now know what sort of mood I should be in when I do decide to read this, which is always crucial. :)

Lolly's Library That's me, I like to be a rebel. ;) I know, you were just hoping for big explosions, weren't you? Sorry to disappoint. LOL Good, I'm glad to have helped, and how very true about the correlation between your mood and the books you read. :)

message 7: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst LOL Explosions are always good, in fiction that is. :) Yeah, I'd hate to pick this up and then end up hating it because my mood isn't right. Although I did know before your review that this isn't a lighter book. :)

Lolly's Library True, but only in the right kind of fiction. I can't see explosions popping up in the middle of a Regency romance: "Darling, I love you- drat, somebody's just blown up the carriage again. Pardon me, dearest, while I fight off those insurgents." :D Well, sure, you didn't need my review to tell you that; simply read any synopsis and you can tell that it's not a summer-at-the-beach read. ;)

message 9: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst Oh, but that would be hilarious! I would so read that book. :P Well, yeah, but just because it's a serious book that doesn't mean it's a "thinker" as well. :)

Lolly's Library Hmm, I wonder what the title would be? Pride and Prejudice and Jihad? LOL True, but usually the two go hand in hand.

message 11: by faeriemyst (new) - added it

faeriemyst They don't always go together, but I don't feel up to arguing that statement. You can let out a breath of relief now. LOL :P

Lolly's Library *noise of a huge gust of breath being exhaled* ;D