Grumpylibrarian's Reviews > Yes Means Yes!: Visions of Female Sexual Power and A World Without Rape

Yes Means Yes! by Jaclyn Friedman

Jun 14, 10

bookshelves: 2010, feminism, non-fiction, politics, sexuality
Read from June 11 to 14, 2010

Required reading for women and men. A few chapters sort of made me go "huh" (as in what the hell is going on here, I'm looking at you WWE/Pussycat Doll chapter) but most made me think YES. YES YES YES YES.

The experience of being a woman, of being vulnerable and of diminished ownership in our own bodies was so explicitly and eloquently described and dismantled by the authors of each chapter. The experience of masculinity and ways to involve men in efforts to end societal violence against women was also very appreciated and very constructive.

The voices of each author in the anthology offer very different perspectives, experiences, and suggestions on how to approach rape as a construct and not as destiny. It's so powerful to read non-white, gender queer, non-straight, differently-abled writers discussing and harmonizing on the same issue. We all have different experiences, but we all want this to end.

And there will be an end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes Means Yes!.