Paula's Reviews > Brother Odd

Brother Odd by Dean Koontz

3720054
May 12, 10

Read in August, 2009

This is the third book in the ‘Odd Thomas’ series by Dean Koontz and although not as good as the previous two books in the series, it does keep you interested. This time around Odd has left his home of Pico Mundo to find peace and solace in St Bartholomew’s monastery in the High Sierra on the California side of the border. Odd finds some peace and solace until a bodach shows up (a Scottish Gaelic term for ‘old man’ and a mythical spirit or creature, rather like the bogeyman), Odd knows they are not actually bodachs but it is a word he uses after learning it from a friend who also saw the living dead like Odd.

As always Odd has the company of the spirit of Elvis and a spirit dog called ‘Boo’ who he meets at the monastery, Odd finds himself again facing things that are difficult to understand but Odd does what he can.

I enjoyed ‘Brother Odd’, I found the premise of the monastery particularly interesting, there was something calming reading about the nuns and brothers of the monastery and the good work they did, plus the isolation of the monastery read well, you could feel the isolation, at times, I did think, ‘how will they get away’. The downside of the book was that it wavered slightly at certain parts, it was readable but under duress readable but it did not put me off the book, and it was a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brother Odd.