MelissaB's Reviews > Amazon Lily

Amazon Lily by Theresa Weir

1320046
*** 3 1/2 stars ***

Corey McKinney travels to the Amazon on a research mission for her church, which is considering funding a reserve that helped the local Native populations. She is supposed to check out the reserve and bring back a report. Her pilot to the reserve is very rough looking man who insults her and tells her she should just go home because the jungle is no place for a woman. Asher Adams is an American ex-pat who went to Brazil looking for his missing brother and has stayed ever since. He doesn't want Corey there because he thinks she is just a "Lilly-Libber" who is coming to try to force her religion on a native population that neither needs it nor wants it. He also knows how dangerous the jungle can be and doesn't think she can hack it even for a week.

Ash takes Corey to the reserve, which consists of one house where he also lives. The man she was supposed to meet left unexpectedly, so she is stuck with Ash. They don't get off on the right foot, partially because he was a jerk to her and because she acted stuck up and snooty. Corey spends the rest of a very adventurous week with Ash, including visiting a local Indian tribe and treking through the jungle with spiders that fell on her when it rained (holy crap I would have freaked out). As they spend more time together, Corey starts to notice that Ash is more than just a sarcastic bad boy, he is helping the local tribes and using his joking to hide a sensitive side. Ash thinks Corey is beautiful but too fragile for the Amazon, so he fights his attraction and tries to be honorable - but of course they give in and some jungle loving goes down. But Ash loves the Amazon and won't leave and Corey has to return to her small town in America, so how can they have a future?

This book gave me mixed feelings. I liked some parts but others could have been better. The setting of the Amazon jungle was really neat, the author didn't try to romanticize it too much and mentions the diseases and dangers that abound. The lead characters were too black and white - the hero is a bad boy who had a harsh childhood in a foster home, he smokes, drinks whiskey and OMG has a tattoo (that says Born to Raise Hell that he got one night when he passed out drunk - that was actually funny). The heroine is a pristine girl who never drinks, lives in a small town and is a "good" girl. Their differences were pointed out again and again and again - yes it got old. The story really felt dated, you could tell it was written in the 80's by the clothing styles and the story. I was annoyed with the heroine sometimes for being such a Ms. Priss and judging the hero, she comes off as really immature sometimes. The hero would go from being a total jerk (standard 80's style) to being nice sometimes, but she loves him (after a few days of course) because she thinks he has the heart of a child - yeah I don't know what that means either. He was kind of funny and charming in a rough way though.

So overall, the story and setting were interesting enough. If you are feeling like reading a decent throwback 80's book, this would be a good one. The characters could have had more depth and not been drawn so polarizing but they were still interesting.
18 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Amazon Lily.

06/14/2010 page 1
0.0% "The inside cover has a picture of a woman with the awesomest high-waisted 80's style blue jeans!" 7 comments

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina "... she loves him (after a few days of course) because she thinks he has the heart of a child - yeah I don't know what that means either."

I think it means she's a pedophile, LOL.

MelissaB Nice Dina.

I think we were supposed to see him as an outer bad boy who is innocent on the inside? Who knows.

AgentScully Great review Melissa. Have this on my wishlist but not so sure now.

MelissaB AgentScully wrote: "Great review Melissa. Have this on my wishlist but not so sure now."

Well, you could borrow mine if you still want to try it.

MelissaB Agent Scully,

Well someone just ordered it from me on PBS so I guess you can't borrow it :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Good review, Melissa. I liked this one, but it's not my favorite by Theresa Weir.

MelissaB Danielle,

Which ones did you like better?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) These are my faves by her:

Cool Shade
Bad Karma
American Dreamer
Some Kind of Magic

Iguana Bay is my all-time favorite. My introduction to tortured heroes. :)

MelissaB Thanks Danielle, I will check some out as I think her writing showed promise.

message 10: by Rane (new)

Rane (that says Born to Raise Hell that he got one night when he passed out drunk

MelissaB The funny part was she acted like having a tattoo was a big deal. Really? Is tattooing more mainstream now than 1988? I am from a small farming community as well and I know lots of people with tats.

AgentScully Thanks Melissa, I'll give this one a skip.

Danielle, Iguana bay sounds very interesting!

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Rane wrote: "(that says Born to Raise Hell that he got one night when he passed out drunk

Nothing says badass then passing out drunk and getting a tattoo, lucky it was spelled right <_<;"

That's what I'm thinking. LOL

I think tattoos are more socially acceptable now than they used to be. I grew up in the 80's and they really weren't all that common (at least around here). Now just about everybody has one.

MelissaB Karen wrote: "Rane wrote: "(that says Born to Raise Hell that he got one night when he passed out drunk

That's what..."

Okay, now that part makes more sense. I was 7 when this book was published and all remember from that time was my Mom's permed hair and big glasses and Rod Stuart on the radio.

message 17: by K. (new)

K. The characters could have had more depth and not been drawn so polarizing

Melissa: That's one of my worst pet peeves in romance! It's like the author doesn't know when to lighten up on a "good thing" and sends the story into "opposites attract" to the point of "NO attraction" for the reader! LOL! Thanks for the great (and funny!) review Melissa. BTW, curious as to how this '80s book ended up on your TBR. Is is a recent acquisition based on a rec., or is it from your Mt. Everest of old?! ;)
K.

MelissaB K.,

It was a rec from someone on Dear Author for jungle themed romances, so it was a recent acquistion for me. I had never heard of it or the author before.