Paula's Reviews > Botchan

Botchan by Natsume Sōseki

3720054
May 12, 2010

Read in April, 2010

'Ever since I was a child, my inherent recklessness has brought me nothing but trouble …'

'Botchan' was written 106 years ago and is still one of most popular books in Japan.

'Botchan' is the story of Botchan, not his name, its a endearing or dismissive name for a young man of a respectable family, his real name is never revealed.

Botchan has always been a handful for his family and as he gets older, he still remains a handful. Following the death of his Father, Botchan uses his inheritance to study to eventually become a mathematic teacher, not his first choice, just a means to a end because he is not very sure what he wants, his family housekeeper, Kiyo has hopes of Botchan getting married, buying an mansion and then she can live with him and his new wife, Botchan is not keen on this idea, so when an job opportunity arises for a mathematics teacher in a boarding school in Shikoku, he takes the job, says his goodbyes and heads for Shikoku.

At the school, Botchan is very much a fish out of a water, he is the teacher but he has a lot of learn.

'Botchan' is very much a summer read, everything about the books reminds you of summer, the sights, the sounds, just the sort of book to sit in the sun and enjoy.

I enjoyed Botchan, despite the age of the book, the humour remains very fresh, I found Botchan funny, he was so moralistic and he knew what he wanted and knew how to get it but it just made him more funny, his insights into his work colleagues were also funny and his conversations concerning his work colleagues were funny.

An interesting read which explores the disappearance of Japanese values and the westernization of Japan.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Botchan.