Laura's Reviews > Triangle

Triangle by Katharine Weber

May 12, 10

Read in May, 2010

I could predict the ending only 90 pages in, but the book did make me think about how hard immigrants worked in the early 1900s and how they were treated. The fire this story referenced actually occurred in 1909. Sadly, working conditions have not changed much in one hundred years, as the chicken plant fire in Hamlet a few years back proved.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Triangle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katharine (new)

Katharine First, the Triangle fire took place on March 25th, 1911.

Second -- I remain puzzled by readers like you who feel that the secret at the heart of the book was ever something not meant to be easily discovered. This is not a mystery or a thriller, not a whodunit. Why read it as if it is?

The issue in Triangle isn't the secret itself so much as it is about the ways the secret surfaces over ninety years and the effect the secret has had on the characters. So anyone who has not identified the lie that has been hiding in plain sight all along, starting on the first page, hasn't been paying attention. Of course you could "predict" the ending, in that sense. You were meant to see it. Why the disappointment?

It seems to me, as the author of Triangle, like a curiously limited way to read, making an erroneous assumption about the nature of the novel in the first place, and then holding it against the text when something about what you are reading doesn't match that assumption.

Laura Wow. Defensive much?

message 3: by Katharine (new)

Katharine Laura wrote: "Wow. Defensive much?"

Why be rude?

We're at Goodreads, having a conversation in public, and the author of the book you spent time reading and thinking about is genuinely curious to know why you felt let down this way. I think I am probably answering your response to my the novel this way, with this explanation of authorial intention -- which you are free to tell me is irrelevant to your reading experience -- because it is not the first of its kind.

Now I have another question: if we were in a library or bookstore, and you were in a book group meeting, saying what you said, and then I surprised you by happening along, and offering this response, would you have used those same words in reply? Why post your thoughts about books at Goodreads if not to join a community conversation about books?