Adam's Reviews > Sun in a Bottle: The Strange History of Fusion and the Science of Wishful Thinking

Sun in a Bottle by Charles Seife

Aug 18, 10

Recommended for: Aaron, Lisa, Gianna
Read from July 05 to August 18, 2010

'Sun in a Bottle' by Charles Seife is not just about the history of fusion-This book is about the lives of those affected by fusion & about the state of the world as fusion technology progressed throughout the years. This brutally honest account of the rise and decline of fusion research is gripping and educational, as Seife begins by explaining how fusion works as well as the early projects that prefaced the Fusion Age (such as the Manhattan Project and Project Plowshare, which was a plan to use atomics for 'peaceful' purposes). He then begins to tell stories of those involved in early fusion research, and how their lives took turns for the better (or worse). Finally, he finishes his book by discussing how science and research is perception-free despite the claims of researchers; in other words, how science frees scientists from what they 'want' to see and reveals the true face of nature.

I was surprised by this gem. I picked it up as a way to whittle the time away during bus rides and breaks, but I found myself poring over the novel a 3 or 4 in the morning! 'Sun in a Bottle' starts quickly, moves faster, and never lets you go. Ultimately, though, it is a sad account of the current state of fusion research, of tokamaks and high-powered lasers, of broken careers and lies and fringe science. A little depressing, true-Nevertheless you must check this out!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun in a Bottle.

07/05/2010 page 39
08/04/2010 page 116
38.0% "Great book! It kinda sneaked up on me. I thought it'd be slow, but this gem is a nonstop read."
08/17/2010 page 304
100.0% "Great book! Engaging, weird, and ultimately an epic work."
show 1 hidden update…