Sarah's Reviews > On the Prowl

On the Prowl by Patricia Briggs

Jul 05, 10

bookshelves: read-in-2010, books-i-own-kindle
Read from July 02 to 05, 2010

On The Prowl is a paranormal romance anthology with some fab authors. I already love Patricia Briggs and Karen Chance but it was a good way to try out a couple of new authors Eileen Wilks & Sunny I'm definitely planning on trying more of Eileen's books but I'm just not sure about the Children of the Moon series by Sunny. Overall I'd say the anthology is well worth reading if only for the Patricia Briggs and Karen Chance stories but would recommend it if you're a fan of any of the authors included.

Alpha and Omega - Patricia Briggs 4/5 Stars
I'm really enjoying Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series so I was keen to try her Alpha and Omega series which is set in the same world. I didn't realise that we've already one of the main characters in this series - it's actually Samuel's brother Charles. I'm not going to go into detail about the plot of the story as I don't want to give any spoilers but if you've already read Moon Called then you'll realise that this is a spin off from that book & I found it really interesting to get to see Charles' side of the story. Anna is an interesting character, turned into a werewolf against her will she hasn't had a very good experience with the other wolves in her pack. I think it will be interesting to see how her character develops throughout the series as she comes to terms with what she has become and settles into the world she was forced into. This was my favorite story in the anthology and I'm looking forward to getting to know Anna and Charles better in Cry Wolf, the next book in the series.

Inhuman - Eileen Wilks 3/4 Stars
Again I won't go into the plot but I enjoyed this short story featuring Kai and Nathan. Eileen Wilks has created an interesting world but I think I'd probably have a better understanding of how that world works if I'd read the previous books in the series - I will definitely be checking them out though. Kai and Nathan's story is left wide open to continue in Night Season and I'd like to find out more about them both but will probably start from the beginning of the series to get the full background information.

Buying Trouble - Karen Chance 4/5 Stars
This was my second favorite story in the anthology and one I was looking forward to reading as I'm a big fan of Karen Chance's Cassie Palmer series. Claire is a great character & I believe she is Dory's roommate from the Dorina Basarab series but you don't need to have read any of those books to enjoy the story. I loved Heidar, he's probably up there with my favorite leading men from Karen's books. I would love to see more of these two so I'm hoping they will make appearances in the Dorina Basarab series which I'm going to have to start reading very soon. Some of the scenes in this story had me laughing out loud & I'd say this would make a very good introduction to Karen's work if you've not read any of her books before.

Mona Lisa Betwining - Sunny 2/5 Stars
This was my least favorite story in the anthology and I actually found it a very confusing read. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd already read the previous books in the series but for someone new to the world Sunny has created there was a lot of information to take in and I really struggled with it. Mona Lisa Betwining didn't really have much of a plot to it and I have a feeling that the back story included some major spoilers for the previous books. I'm not sure if I'll continue reading this series or not, I've heard good things about it but this story just didn't convince me. I might try out the first book if I come across it at the library but I'm not going to rush out and buy it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Prowl.

07/02/2010 page 75
07/02/2010 page 75
22.0% "I really liked Alpha & Omega so this is another series to add to my wishlist :-)"
07/03/2010 page 191
56.0% "Inhuman was an interesting story quite detailed world & might have been easier to follow if I'd read the series - will read more now though!" 3 comments
07/04/2010 page 276
81.0% "Great twist in Buying Trouble. I'm guessing Claire is Dory's roommate too. Must start reading the Dory series."

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have this one on my shelf because of the Alpha & Omega series...love, love, love that series.

Sarah The Alpha & Omega story was my favorite story in the book - I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the series :o) Patricia Briggs is definitely up there with my favorite authors!

Jodie id like to say i was uneasy about sunny's children of the moon series & i havent read the others but if u love briggs try sunny. mona lisa awakening the first book in that series is amazing.

Sarah Hi Jodie, thanks for letting me know the series is worth trying. One of the main problem with this one was that I found it so confusing because I didn't know the back story. Hopefully if I start from the beginning I'll actually enjoy them & then I'll come back and re-review this one :o)