Sarah's Reviews > Lover Unbound

Lover Unbound by J.R. Ward

Jun 06, 11

bookshelves: books-i-own-print, read-in-2011, read-before-2010, books-i-own-kindle
Read from May 10 to 13, 2011, read count: 2

I've been a fan of Vishous since early in the series so understandably I was looking forward to his story but unfortunately Lover Unbound didn't live up to my expectations. I've always liked the way J.R. Ward includes several different plot lines in the books so that although the focus is on the main couple we are also getting to know future heroes better and building up anticipation for the next book. However this time around I felt like there were so many other things going on that V & Jane's romance was too far in the background. I wanted to see more of this couple together and because I didn't I was left feeling unsatisfied with their romance.

The story started off strongly with a really interesting revelation about V's parentage which had me hooked, I couldn't wait to see how it played out but I was disappointed with the treatment V receives from someone who is supposed to care for him. I can't say who without spoilers but so I'm just going to say I had some serious hate going on for his newly found family member! They had managed to redeem themselves a little by the end but I would have liked this to happen sooner. I was happy with the way V and Butch resolved their relationship issues and glad to see closure on that part of the story line but I wanted more action with V and Jane. Don't even get me started on the ending or I'll be here for hours (it was unbelievably frustrating!) but you'll have to read the story for yourself to find out if you agree with me or not.

For me the best part of this book was getting to see more of John Matthew, Blaylock & Quinn. I love all of these characters and can't wait to get to their books! While I like Phury I felt he took over too much of the story but perhaps that is because I'm re-reading the series now and I already know that Phury's story is my least favourite (in fact I'm not even sure if I can bring myself to re-read it!). I honestly can't remember disliking his parts in Lover Unbound so much the first time I read it so hindsight isn't always a good thing.

Overall while I still love the Black Dagger Brotherhood series I am disappointed that V didn't get a better story, I feel like if we'd spent more time with him this could have been a brilliant book. Having said that it is still worth reading Lover Unbound if you're a fan of the series, even if it's more for the continuing stories of the other characters. If you haven't already started the books I would definitely recommend reading the series in order though, you really would miss out if you picked it up halfway through.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Unbound.