Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer's Reviews > Black Sheep

Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer

Black Sheep is far and away my favorite Georgette Heyer novel. The dialogue simply crackles and the romance is marvelous.

Abigail Wendover, a self-proclaimed old maid (at the ripe old age of 28!) comes back into town only to discover her niece has attached herself to a notorious fortune hunter. She knows she can't flatly refuse to allow her niece to see him, but when the young man's uncle arrives in town, she attempts to enlist his aid in putting a stop to the relationship. Things don't go as planned! She discovers the uncle, Miles Caverleigh, is shockingly unconcerned over his nephew's affairs. In fact, the uncle is quite the black sheep of his family and was disowned years ago and sent off to India after some ridiculous scandal. He not only refuses to help, but actually has the audacity to fall in love with Abigail and pursue her.

The character and relationship development is especially good in this book and the pacing is much quicker than in most of her novels. The ending is total bliss!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Sheep.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Reformed rake? How Heyer loved them. I don't know why they rub me the wrong way, but they do.

Kim (magicsandwiches) Lawyer The scandal involved him trying to elope with Abigail's aunt, who was already engaged at the time, when he was very young. His family shipped him off to India to hush the scandal before it could be spread. The story never mentions that he was a rake or that he had his bits of muslin, but I suppose he may have. He's not really one to adhere to the rules of society and he's been living in India for the last twenty or so years acquiring a vast fortune.

I don't believe in reformed rakes, which is probably why I don't like them either. I just doesn't seem plausible to me that they're all of a sudden going to be faithful. Aside from that, it annoys me that philandering behind the scenes was no big deal!

message 2: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Kim wrote: "it annoys me that philandering behind the scenes was no big deal!"

I think that's it exactly; the ladies are these pure white flowers kept from all but the most proper contact with gentlemen; the gentlemen, meanwhile, are allowed unlimited amounts of improper. What would the ladies even see in them, after years of that sort of behavior, no matter how charming/handsome they are?

Trudy Brasure One of my favorite Heyer books as well!