Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Unearthed

Unearthed by C.J. Barry

May 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads, fantasy-sci-fi, romance, jim-swap-shelf
Read from May 11 to 12, 2010

Wow. I just finished this. I think I just threw up a little at the back of my brain.

I'd mark this as containing spoilers, but the only spoiler is if you read it. I've read a ton of SF and this is a bad parody of many of the standard SF plots. However, any fan of SF will tell you that the basic rules of the world have to work. Nothing works in this universe. Transport systems, gravity concerns, planetary laws, communication devices, basically name any element and it doesn't work.

The power of the amulet? When all is revealed, so bad I was laughing.

'It's not just about me. If my father does not rule, millions will die.' - What? Nobody's ever had a ruler die before? The planet will go up in flames? Does not compute.

The traps actually run on magic? They must. After 1000 years, the creatures are still alive. And once defeated, the wind/eternally powered spinner/creatures/mobile statues are all gone?

What kind of advanced space faring civilization wears badly cured smelly animal hide cloaks? Ones in poorly written space adventures.

I could go on and on - ship design? defense systems? Governmental structure? - Even the worst of the original Star Trek episodes is more coherent (and that's saying something).

OK fine, the SF is total crap. Maybe the love story has something to it then? Nope. It's just as bad.

I've read a few thousand books in my lifetime and this very well may be in the top 10 worst ever list. It is certainly #1 for worst read of 2010 so far.

As a final note: Anyone who is interested in what a good space adventure looks like, read some Peter F. Hamilton. If you want to go old school, some Asimov, Herbert, or even Card would do.

As an even more final note: I'm not sure what I'm more disappointed in, that I read this book or the glowing reviews of others who've read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unearthed.

05/11/2010 page 183
60.6% "Wow. I bought this because I needed a futuristic romance for a challenge read. didn't know how bad it was going to be."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

MK (Food actvist) Haha! I LOVED this book/series =D Great review, Jim!

Daymis Alicea Hater. This book is FAB. And it's for girls. Like me. To escape and chill n not take things like SF romance so seriously. Seriously jim. Chill

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) 'Romance is for girls?' I suppose some people believe that sports are for boys, a woman's place is in the kitchen, and real men don't eat quiche. Let's not extend stereotypes if we can avoid it.

People read for a myriad of reasons. I also read to escape. I read to join in another story and to do things that I will never b able to do in real life. But to get to that level where I have my willful suspension of disbelief I need that kernel of truth which starts in the real world. It just ain't here.

So to go back to your original assertion that I'm a hater? Yes, in this case I am.

message 4: by D.G. (last edited Mar 16, 2014 05:57PM) (new)

D.G. Awesome review, Jim. Not touching this with a 10.FOOT.POLE. But then, I'm a woman and not a 'girl'. I guess this is not for me in any case!

It's amazing that in this day and age there are women childish little girls spouting this drivel. And then they want to be taken seriously!

Daymis Alicea Good grief... U took my word 'girl' and really went with it... Into the totally serious world of stereotypes and yadayadayada. You take urself way to seriously. Lighten up

Again, for me it was great escape ism, a very cute story, fun characters. not to 'get any body's panties in a bunch' but I really liked it.

Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim) Daymis wrote: "Good grief... U took my word 'girl' and really went with it... Into the totally serious world of stereotypes and yadayadayada. You take urself way to seriously. Lighten up

Again, for me it was gr..."

You are right. I'm sorry for taking your comments in a light they were not intended. I'm glad you liked the book. I have a soft spot for the Cat-Star series which is completely ridiculous. To each his own.