Amydeanne's Reviews > The Practice of Godliness

“Godliness has value for all things” 1 Timothy 4:8
by Jerry Bridges

----------------------------------

What is godliness?

What Makes someone godly?

These are some of the questions that Jerry poses in the beginning of his book. He provides a captivating study of God's word and how to understand our part in learning to be godly. This is his follow up book to Pursuit of Holiness (which I have not read).

The book is broken deliberately into three sections - each covering parts of godliness such as humility, contentment, thankfulness, joy, holiness, self-control, faithfulness, peace, patience, gentleness, kindness, goodness and love.

I really liked this book though a few times I felt like it was a little over my head. I found my head swarming with all the verses and quotes and had to step back from it time and time again to take some of it in. I am pretty sure I'll be doing it over again at some point. It is a very convicting read that will not allow you to stay as you are in your Christian walk! So be prepared to move forward and learn through this study!

The Practice of Godliness can be accompanied by it's study guide if you want to do it in a group setting. Personally I found that I would have been totally lost without it, so I will recommend it for those who might struggle like I did through it.

That being said Jerry gives a great examples and digs in deep. I think all of us need to learn how to be more godly.

** review copy provided by NavPress

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Practice of Godliness.