Scott's Reviews > Blockade Billy

Blockade Billy by Stephen King

Jul 08, 10

bookshelves: 2010, adult-books, horror, older-teens, realistic, second-half-of-2010, summer-reading-2010
Read from May 11 to July 08, 2010

Writing is Stephen King's job. It's what he does. He writes books. Sometimes he's better at his job than other times. Here is the case where he isn't bad, but he isn't at the top of his game. Are the stories well-crafted? Sure. Do they leave something to be desired? Yes. There are two stories here, Blockade Billy and Morality. They both have their upsides, but they both feel a little empty, like maybe King was just filling his quota. Still, King always pushes himself to try new things and genres. The first story Blockade Billy is a surprising example of this. It plays itself off as a "True Story" of a controversial baseball player who has been erased from the history books. It works well. You can hear/read King's voice slip through a few times through his narrator, the third base coach for the titular Billy. Other than those few times which led me to believe it's fiction, King pulls off telling the story so well that I was still left wondering. It's a spellbinding and effective suspense story that had me wanting to know what happened to Billy. It's a shocking payoff, but still, the story was missing something.
Morality, the second story, works fine, but . . . I actually don't know what to say about it. Is it trying to raise questions of morality, because it fails. It's characters aren't fleshed out very well. And the crime that they commit that has them questioning their morality . . . is both stupid and awesome (few authors would let their characters do something so asinine.) Still, how the characters handle the situation is dealt with well, and their are portions that I enjoyed.
I'd have to say King succeeded in writing a book. He didn't really fail in any aspect. I just enjoy some of his other stuff better and can't wait to see what's next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blockade Billy.

07/04/2010 page 50
45.0% "I love how king mixes it up. I mean genre wise."