Bridget's Reviews > The Code of the Woosters

2076050
May 12, 10

bookshelves: 2010-reads
Read in May, 2010

Actually, I listened to this from an audio version of this produced by the BBC. Bertie Wooster's Aunt Dahlia assigns him to go to an antique store and pooh-pooh a silver cow creamer, hoping that the store owner will mark down the price so her husband can buy it. Needless to say, Bertie runs into trouble, in the form of Sir Watkyn Bassett, who is also interested in the cow creamer. And of course, there is a mixup so that it appears that Bertie was trying to steal the cow creamer.

Through a series of events that only occur in Bertie Wooster's world, he is also planning a visit to the estate of Madeline Bassett, who is engaged to his friend Gussie Finknottle, to provide moral support for Gussie. Once again, misunderstandings and ridiculous situations ensue, with Bertie right in the thick of it, and Jeeves once again coming to the rescue.

I am familiar with this story, but hearing it again was just as entertaining as it was the first time. Wodehouse has created characters that never cease to amuse me, living in one of my favorite time periods. Normally someone like Bertie Wooster would really irritate me, but he is just so happy with himself all of the time, and lives such a "jolly" life, it's hard not to enjoy his antics. Plus, he has friends with such stupidly great names, i.e., "Stinker" Pinker, who are also for the most part pretty worthless, and often make Bertie look like the brains of the outfit.

The only TV dramatization I've ever seen of these stories had Hugh Laurie as Bertie and Stephen Fry as Jeeves. No matter when I read the stories, or hear them, those two will always be in my head as those characters.

Everyone needs some Bertie Wooster in their lives every once in a while, if you ask me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Code of the Woosters.