Kristilyn's Reviews > Blood Promise

Aug 03, 2016

bookshelves: physical-book
I own a copy

** spoiler alert **
Have I mentioned before how much I love this series? Well, even though I’ve said it for the past books, I’m hoping that Richelle Mead has something up her sleeve for the next two installments because after this novel, while I still love it, I’m not impressed.

Let me say this – I loved the whole Rose/Dimitri thing that was going on. What I do not love is that now that I’m so into the Rose/Adrian thing, Richelle Mead has decided that Dimitri still has to be in the novel. And now there’s the whole idea of saving the Strigoi, turning them back to their previous vampire state?

What??

I love Adrian. I think he’s traveled bounds and leaps from what he was like when he first entered the series. I really think that he and Rose could have something amazing. But now, Mead has ruined that, here at the end of the 4th installment of the Vampire Academy, Blood Promise, by saying, “Oh wait! Dimitri’s not actually dead! Let’s bring his annoying self back to the series for another book!”

Ugh.

Now don’t get me wrong, this is a great series, but I worry about where it’s going to go from here. This definitely wasn’t the strongest book in the series. I wasn’t a huge fan of looking back at Rose and Dimitri’s past (which, really, for 2 people who never had a lot of time to spend together, they sure had a lot of history!) and it felt like the book dragged when Rose reminisced about her and Dimitri. It was all filler information - nothing really important considering that the readers already knew that Rose loved Dimitri. The reader also knows that Rose traveled across the oceans to kill him – why reminisce?

I do hope that Lissa and Christian can patch things up and I’m so glad that Avery is out of the picture. I’ll give Mead credit here because I really didn’t see that happening! Not until Lissa was about to throw herself off a building did I really see what Avery was up to. And I had no idea that Simon and Rees were both in on it. I love that Rose used the help of her new friends – Dimitri’s family and friends, that is – to help her save Lissa. Personally, I just thought that Avery was there to keep Adrian available, break up Christian and Lissa, therefore leaving Lissa and Adrian with each other where they could fill out Tatiana’s wishes and get together (rather than Adrian hooking up with Rose, a dhampir, who I think he should be hooking up with!).

Of course, since I love the Rose/Adrian thing, I’m glad that didn’t happen.

In the end, these are great novels and I appreciate the fact that there is only going to be 6 books in the series. It’s great knowing that the last book, which is to be released in December of this year, will be the end. As a reader, it’s nice to have some finality.

Meanwhile, I can’t wait for the 5th book to come out this month! Who’s with me?
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Promise.

08/03 marked as: read