Dawn's Reviews > Behind Closed Doors: A True Story of Abuse, Neglect and Survival Against the Odds

Behind Closed Doors by Jenny Tomlin

Jun 28, 10

bookshelves: biography
Recommended to Dawn by: No-one
Recommended for: Social Workers and victims of abuse
Read from May 24 to 28, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Difficult to rate this book as I didn't like the subject matter at all, and I didn't like reading a lot of it, but I liked the way it was written, so I have rated it on that merit. I do not normally read books like this but I found it in a charity shop and I was interested to read it to compare it to "Jesus Land" (also called "Another Hour on a Sunday Morning") by Julia Scheeres. I much preferred Jenny Tomlin's disclosure of abuse as it had an honesty about it which was lacking in Scheere's book, and also it did not have the sneering undertones which Scheeres' book had.

It made me angry that those involved in child-protection can be so thick.

However, the bit that really upset me and made me cry with sadness and anger (and my reaction surprised me) was when Auntie's dying wish to be buried next to her husband was ignored, and she was cremated and her ashes scattered to the wind. I really don't know why this upset me so much, but Auntie was one of the few people in the book with dignity and love, and I felt really upset that such a noble person was not even afforded her last dying wish.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind Closed Doors.