Pattyrflg's Reviews > The Lovely Bones

U 50x66
May 11, 2010

liked it
Read in May, 2010

A coworker told me about this book and then let me borrow it. This is not a book I would have picked to read because of the story line. In 1973, 14 year old Susie Salmon is raped and murdered by a neighbor. The entire story is told by Susie after she goes to heaven. Being a Christian, I can't really accept that people in heaven are able to watch people on earth and know what they are thinking and feeling. This is the reason I would never have picked up this book at the library. But I thought I would give it a try and would stop reading if I didn't like it. Although I still do not agree with the author's ideas about heaven, I did like the book. Because Susie was able to know what everyone was thinking and feeling, I was able to understand how each family member and friend dealt with her death.
I skipped through the rape and murder, but it was not graphic. I also skipped through a sex scene later in the book. That particular scenario was way off base for me and could have been left out. Also, a couple of uses of the F word--why do writers feel they have to throw that in when it does nothing to enhance the story?? Overall the book was well written and thought provoking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lovely Bones.