Ryan's Reviews > Busman's Honeymoon

Busman's Honeymoon by Dorothy L. Sayers

Jun 14, 10

Read from May 11 to June 05, 2010

It is hard to find a better writer of mystery novels than Dorothy Sayers. Her stories don't have the most suspense or the best turns of plot, but when considered as a whole, I think they are the most enjoyable. I was actually a little bit sad upon completing this book because it was the last of the Wimsey books I got to read for the first time.

Busman's Honeymoon takes place after Peter Wimsey has married detective novelist Harriet Vane, the woman he has been pursuing for years. They discover a murder on their honeymoon, and the story goes on from there. And it is a good story. But what struck me most was the information we find out about both Peter and Harriet and their thoughts on the first days of marriage. There are great descriptions of the intensity, confusion, and ecstasy of the first weeks of marriage (all tasteful), as well as the questions of identity that seem normal to ask ("mine" vs. "ours"). Even several of the supporting characters in this book have marriage on the mind in one way or another, and that theme ties the book together nicely.

This is a classic Sayers novel and I recommend it heartily. It was the last detective novel she finished during her life, though other stories of hers (and, in fact, new Wimsey novels) have been picked up by another author (Jill Paton Walsh).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Busman's Honeymoon.