Sue Leatherman's Reviews > We the Children

We the Children by Andrew Clements

May 11, 10

bookshelves: mystery, childrens-literature, adventure, seaside, school
Recommended for: Children ages 7 - 10
Read in May, 2010

"Stick out your hand!" Mr. Keane, the school's head custodian, shoves a mysterious coin into Benjamin Pratt's hand and then whispers to Ben with his last breath, "the fight is yours!" Why did the old man do this? A strange message is stamped on the back of the coin, "First and always, my school belongs to the children. DEFEND IT," what does it mean? Benjamin Pratt's harbor side school is about to be torn down and replaced with an amusement park. Fantastic! Or is it? Why is the new janitor sneaking around? Too many questions to figure out by himself so Benjamin recruits the "brains" of the school (a girl!) Jill Acton, and together they try to get to the bottom of this mystery about the coin, the school, and the strange new janitor.

Andrew Clements (Frindle) has done it again! This new mystery series, set on the New England coast line, is exciting, intense, and full of adventure! The action is fast paced! He keeps the reader involved in the story by sharing contagious clues (just as you figure out one clue you are anxiously looking for the next) and if that weren't enough, Benjamin Pratt has the added challenge of dealing with his parents' separation! Whether wandering around the school checking out clues or sailing a dinghy in a big race, there's a big storm ahead for the Keepers of the School and Mr. Clements keeps his readers perched for the next book in the series. I'll be at the front of the line waiting for my copy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We the Children.