Kate's Reviews > Infinity

May 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: 2010, age-ya, paranormal, arcs
Read from May 20 to 23, 2010

I received this ARC from the publisher.

Nick is sort of a loser. His mom is a stripper, which leads to a lot of teasing at school, since he is fiercely protective of her. He and his mom don't have a lot of money, and that leads to teasing at school. It doesn't help that he attends a private school, where most of the kids are rich instead of smart. Nick tries to stay out of trouble, but after getting suspended for fighting, he hooks up with his only 3 friends. They convince him to be a lookout for them, but Nick doesn't realize they plan to mug a couple of tourists. Nick tries to stop them, and they beat him up so badly he lands in the hospital.

Enter Kyrian. Kyrian rescues Nick from his "friends" and offers to pay Nick's hospital bill, for a price. Nick must come to work for him for a few months. Suddenly Nick is making more money than he ever dreamed of. The hitch? Kyrian isn't quite human. The next day school is closed because some of the students have been biting and eating other students. The zombie attacks continue and seem to be following Nick around. Suddenly Nick is caught up in a supernatural battle, where he is the center.

There's a lot going on in this book. I have never read anything else by Sherrilyn Kenyon, but from the titles of her other books I can tell that this might be a spin-off. Perhaps faithful readers won't be as confused with all the characters. What also made it difficult is that what Nick is exactly is not explained. I'm guessing some kind of demon or god, but I really have no idea, only that he needs to choose to be good or evil. I also thought the overall tone of the novel was extremely sarcastic - I could understand one or two characters being sarcastic, but this was every character and even some of the narration. However, Nick was a likable character and I liked the supernatural world introduced here. I wasn't sure what to expect since I believe Kenyon's adult titles are a bit racy (the first one is titled Fantasy Lover), but there was little to no swearing and nothing inappropriate (despite the mom being a stripper). I think this will be a popular series with teens, especially those who have read the Dark-Hunters manga.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infinity.