Auntee's Reviews > Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake by Sarah MacLean

Jun 11, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, 2010_reads, keepers, made_me_cry
Recommended to Auntee by: Kathrynn M., Eastofoz, everyone
Recommended for: Everyone who likes a good romance
Read from June 07 to 11, 2010

I loved this book! Loved it! For the last few years I've drifted away from reading historicals, but with all the rave reviews regarding this book I thought I had to take the plunge and see what all the fuss was about. And all those glowing reviews are not wrong, IMO--this was one delicious read!

I absolutely adored the heroine in this book--and I'm not one who usually falls for the heroine. But there was something so real, likable and relatable about the character of Lady Calpurnia "Callie' Hartwell, the 28 year old plain, bland, slightly plump, passive, play-by-the-rules spinster. When Callie realized she was tired of being thought of as 'passive' and decided to be more adventurous in her life (to the extreme, at times) and break some rules, that's when the book became un-put-down-able. Her nine rules that she wanted to break started out with "kiss someone--passionately". And she knew just who she wanted to kiss--the man who had been on her mind for the past 10 years, the man she'd longed for, renowned rake Gabriel St. John, the Marquess of Ralston.

Oh my...Ralston...or Gabriel--however Callie thought of him, he was quite the hero. Wickedly charming, devastatingly handsome, seductive, experienced, adventurous, funny, rule breaking--and so, out of Callie's league (or so she thinks). And determined not to fall in love--ever. I loved how he called Callie "Empress" and "lovely" I loved, loved, loved these two as a couple. They had such a spark whenever they were together--their scenes, their was awesome. After Callie broke her first rule with Ralston (such chemistry they had!), she knew he was the one she wanted to break all the rules with!

And the rules Callie wanted to break! Or I should say the adventures she wanted to have--
*Kiss someone--passionately (the start of something big for Callie and Gabriel)
*Smoke a cheroot and drink scotch (funny)
*Ride astride (turned out to be quite sexy)
*Fence (funny...then passionate)
*Attend a duel (suspenseful and near tragic)
*Fire a pistol (humorous)
*Gamble at a gentleman's club (hot, hot, hot)
*Dance every dance at a ball (Callie comes into her own)
*Be considered beautiful--just once. (you've always been beautiful, Callie)

I don't want to give away too much of the plot, except to say that Callie (with Gabriel's help) goes about breaking some rules and having some daring adventures, falls for Gabriel and wishes that he could love her as much as she loves him, but something in his past stands in his way. And Callie's opinion of herself causes her not to hope for the impossible. But seeing the impossible slowly become possible is what made this book so enjoyable. I was thoroughly engaged in this story, was dying for Callie to get all that she longed for, and was hoping that Gabriel wouldn't inadvertently hurt Callie and dash all her dreams. The chemistry between Callie and Gabriel was off the charts--and not just the sexual chemistry. These two were so good together--I felt like they each 'got' the other one--they completed each other.

And yes, the love scenes were quite hot for a non-erotica. There's plenty of foreplay, but only a few actual sex scenes. Which was perfectly fine--this book was so wonderfully written, the characters so alive, that it didn't need a whole lot of sex scenes to sell the story. I totally believed in Callie and Gabriel's romance, and the big payoff was worth the wait. Spicy hot and passionate.

I also enjoyed the supporting characters in this book. Callie's younger, more beautiful sister Mari, her older brother Benedick; Gabriel's twin brother Nick and his 'just discovered' sister Julianna (who Callie was 'tutoring' for her debut into society)--all these characters who interacted with Callie and Gabriel helped to make it a fuller, richer story.

This book made me smile, it made me laugh, it made me cry, it made me sigh. It brought out all the emotions. And when a book can do that for me, it's a winner. What a wonderful job Sarah MacLean did--I did not want this story to end. I hope that we see a lot more of Callie and Gabriel (they may be my favorite couple this year) in the next book, Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord. That's one historical that will be an auto-buy for me! 5 stars
40 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake.

06/08/2010 page 77
17.82% "Loving the heroine so far..."
06/10/2010 page 252
58.33% "I can't believe how much I'm enjoying this--it's like reading Kleypas or better!" 7 comments
06/10/2010 page 294
68.06% "Wow." 6 comments
06/11/2010 page 397
100.0% "Thoroughly enjoyed every page!"

Rane Great Review Auntee! Sarah MacLean became an auto-buy author after this (I loved it this book!)

Dina "they may be my favorite couple this year"

Wow, that's quite a compliment! Lovely review, Auntee. I wish you read more historicals. :)

Jasmin your review makes me want to take the plunge too! and I will, i will!

Laura the Highland Hussy oh Auntee I knew we'd drag you to our side! Wasn't it the best Regency in a very long time? I loved your review, and I think I agree with everything you've said. I always see you on my "buddies" is it I've never friended you? changing that as of now!

Shawna Wonderful review, Auntee! It was a nice reminder of all the things I loved so much about this book. :)

Eastofoz I'm with Shawna Auntee :) Your review brought it all back and I was all smiles about it. Nothing beats a good romance :)

Oh yeah and that riding astride... (lol!)

Auntee Thanks all! And thanks for the little "push"--I knew all those glowing reviews couldn't be wrong!:)

MelissaB I loved it too Auntee! Great review and nice inclusion of "the rules" that started it! I loved Callie as a heroine.

Auntee Thanks Melissa! I thought Callie was wonderful too.

message 10: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Sadly, this book falls under my boycott of overpriced new releases on Kindle, but I'm determined to get the hardcopy used soon.

Great review, Auntee. You guys are really making me want to read this!

Auntee Thanks Beanbag! I was lucky enough to find this one used at half price--but it's definitely worth every penny of the $7.99 sticker price!

message 12: by May (new) - rated it 5 stars

May I got my copy 25% off at Target - so far worth every penny. I'm glued to it, and only 100pgs in...

Mitzi I just finished it last week and adored it too!!! Very cute, sexy fun fun story!!!

Eastofoz Beanbag this is worth the price of a hardcover easy I thought and I very very rarely buy those :)

Laura the Highland Hussy To everyone here: all the praise made me re-read it...I loved it even more the second time around

Auntee Thanks Danielle!

Ooh, wish I could drop the book I'm reading now and reread Nine Rules...

Kathrynn :-) I KNEW you would. :-)

♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness I absolutly agree with your review, this book was fantastic! Can't wait for the next in this series.

Michelle Kelly Best book I read in 2010 and I already have her next book pre-ordered to download in Oct to my Kindle!

Ronyell Awesome review Auntee!!!

Auntee Thanks Ronyell--this was a great book!

Ronyell It sure was!!! :D

Fiona Goodman I just read your review and there is no need to write one of my own because your's was so perfect! I am starting a new shelf on definite re-reads and this is at the top of my list!

Auntee Wow, thanks Fiona!
I wouldn't mind re-reading this one either.:)