Ruth's Reviews > The Vanishing Viscountess

The Vanishing Viscountess by Diane Gaston

Oct 09, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance, regency-victorian
Read from October 08 to 09, 2010

I have to say, this one surprised me. I'd read other books by this author, and loved her steamy short stories, but found her longer stories lacking. This one wasn't steamy, but was just a great story.

It starts out with a dramatic beginning - a shipwreck, and unfolds into a great story of escape, redemption and love. The prose isn't blistering, but there is something nice about it's simplicity.

The hero is a man of great promise who feels he has little value to anyone, nor purpose in life. He feels his selfishness has caused others' deaths. The heroine is a woman on-the-run, accused of murder and desperate to escape the hangman.

There are many moments I really enjoyed, but perhaps the best were all centered on how much more credible the story was than I expected. So many HRs have similar plots, and similar twists, but with this book I didn't feel that there were silly misunderstandings nor that either the hero or heroine were irrational in their choices. There were moments of misunderstandings in the story, sure, but, as in real life, they were dealt with quickly and were nothing more than passing interactions between characters, and not the basis for some spurious plot.

Also, interestingly, none of the characters was completely evil nor completely good. They were all a shade of grey, and I appreciated that.

Good, solid book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Viscountess.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I really enjoy the Harlequin Historical line, Ruth. Sounds like I need to grab this one, too.

Great review!

Ruth Thanks! It surprised me how much I enjoyed it. I was looking for a " filler" whilst I read another series, but I read it pretty much straight through.