Alex's Reviews > Holy Warriors: A Modern History of the Crusades

Holy Warriors by Jonathan Phillips

Jan 02, 2015

bookshelves: 2010, middle-east, middle-ages, reading-through-history, rth-lifetime
Read from May 11 to 17, 2010

Excellent, very readable birds-eye view of the Crusades. Phillips falls down a bit when he tries to pull it all together and talk about the use of the word "crusade" in times since the actual Crusades...he's trying for a kinda lofty conclusion, and he doesn't quite make it. But the main point is to give a general sense of what happened, and there he succeeds admirably.

I'm not trying to become a big expert on the Crusades or anything; I just want the broad strokes. I think of it like this: I'd like to know enough about the Crusades to nail a a hypothetical Crusades category on Jeopardy. I've achieved that: what are Jerusalem, the Knights Templar, Richard the Lionheart, Constantinople, and Saladin. Gimme my money.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Holy Warriors.

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary This sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to your review.

Alex I'm a third of the way through now, and digging it. Very easy to read. It's the right size for me, too; at around 350 pages covering all of the crusades, it's a bird's eye view, but that's all I really wanted. Enough to, y'know, nail a hypothetical "Crusades" category on Jeopardy. (As opposed, to, say, God's War: A New History of the Crusades, which I've heard is great but clocks in at over 1000 pages.)

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy You're too fast for me! I still haven't gotten started on it :-( Hopefully by the weekend.

message 4: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke I have god's war in my office. I've had it for awhile. Indeed, daunting. Hence it remains on the shelf in my office.

message 5: by Marieke (new) - added it

Marieke i made a mistake. i have "God's Crucible" by David Levering Lewis in my office.