Lara's Reviews > Ship Breaker

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

May 11, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, dystopia-post-apocalypse, science-fiction, action-adventure, libraried, read-in-2014, all-things-nautical
Read from January 24 to 25, 2014 , read count: 1

I put off reading this one for a long time even though I kept hearing about how good it is because I attempted to read Pacigalupi's The Windup Girl awhile back and I couldn't make it past page 50 (omg, it was boring). But this one was much more enjoyable to me. I liked the setting a lot, and the main character, and Tool. It's a pretty brutal story in some ways, sort of surprisingly so, but it worked. A number of people have complained about the number of times Pacigalupi uses the word "feral" here, and yes, it is excessive, but I mean... Ok, well, I just didn't really care about that at all. I know there's a sequel, but even though I liked this book, I find I'm unsure about reading the next one, just because I like where this one ends and I get weird about sequels sometimes. But we'll see. Anyway--way better than I expected! I'm glad I finally read it.

Actually, just looked at the next book and it's not really a sequel, just a companion. So I will probably give it a try after all. If you care, ha!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ship Breaker.