Amy's Reviews > The Last Town on Earth

The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen

1206706
May 10, 10

This is not the first book I've read about a town that isolates itself from the rest of the world to avoid a pandemic illness. This one, however, revolves around the Spanish infuenza outbreak of 1918.

I've always been interested in this era as my grandfather lived through it, and has always had some interesting- albeit sometimes gruesome- stories to tell...In fact, he lost his sister to it.

This story took awhile a to get going though, and had a story within a story revolving around the soldiers of the time, Wilson's "lies", and the conscientious objectors to the war. That was interesting, but it made for quite a journey before you get to the real meat of the story. It's a study in human behavior, for sure. What would you do if you were forced to decide between shooting someone who may or not have the flu as he was trying to enter your quarantined town, or... not be able to pull the trigger and risk infecting your spouse, children, and everyone and everything else you hold dear? Interesting to say the least, but not my favorite story of a self induced quarantine. I would recommend Year of Wonders instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Town on Earth.