Jared Burton's Reviews > The Lightning Thief

** spoiler alert ** Jared Burton
English 353
Professor Travis
6-5-10
Riordan, Rick. Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightening Thief. New York: Hyperion Books, 2005.
The Lightening Thief by Rick Riordan is an epic, heroic, fantasy about a boy named Percy Jackson. Percy, who starts off in the book as an ADD diagnosed, dyslexic, nobody high school student, quickly gets his life turned upside down when he finds out he's a half blood, Half Greek god that is. Percy comes to learn that he is Poseidon, the god of the sea's son. It is up to Percy to retrieve the stolen lightning bolt that was taken from Zeus. Zeus believes Poseidon has taken it, therefore, if Percy does not obtain the bolt in time then there will be a world war between the gods. Needless to say Percy takes on the quest and encounters different monsters that are of Greek mythology, only each god has a modern twist that lets them fit into today's society in a fun way.
The book itself does a good job touching on some of the main Greek mythology. Riordan also makes this a very fun read for anyone into Greek mythology. This book is also very funny, I personally found myself laughing out loud a number of times, and at other times, I was actually scared for the characters. What I enjoyed most about this book was the integration of the Greek mythology into the modern culture of today. The book clearly explained how the gods move with western culture so in the book Mt. Olympus sits above New York, while Hades sits below Los Angeles.
As for the book itself fitting all the main criteria that makes a good fantasy novel, I believe it did well. Each character was described with detail, even the antagonists which helped the reader understand what was going on. There are limits within the fantasy in the book. These limits are normally the limits of the regular world. Sometime when really odd stuff happens it tends to happen inside Camp Half Blood. Another great aspect to this story is the use of the "mist" which explains why humans don't see ridiculous battles between monsters and half bloods. What made this even more realistic is the mist is referenced as the mist that is also found in Homer's literature.
I would highly recommend both middle school and high school students to read this because not only is it a fun epic journey tale about someone they can relate with, but because it teaches Greek mythology at the same time, rather well too.
Over all the book is a great story of Percy and his journey to save the world. Even though it sounds a little too epic for a 12 year old, Riordan did a fine job keeping it realistic enough to enjoy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lightning Thief.

05/10/2010 page 44
11.0% "Can I have your apple?"
05/11/2010 page 75
18.75% "Uhh duh!"
05/14/2010 page 197
49.25% "I wanna send madusa's head to someone...a few people actually :P"
show 2 hidden updates…