Carson's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

F_50x66
May 10, 10

bookshelves: to-read

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Quotes Carson Liked

J.D. Salinger
“Grand. There's a word I really hate. It's a phony. I could puke every time I hear it.”

J.D. Salinger
“It's funny. All you have to do is say something nobody understands and they'll do practically anything you want them to.”

J.D. Salinger
“People are always ruining things for you.”

J.D. Salinger
“If you do something too good, then, after a while, if you don't watch it, you start showing off. And then you're not as good any more.”

J.D. Salinger
“Among other things, you'll find that you're not the first person who was ever confused and frightened and even sickened by human behavior. You're by no means alone on that score, you'll be excited and stimulated to know. Many, many men have been just as troubled morally and spiritually as you are right now. Happily, some of them kept records of their troubles. You'll learn from them—if you want to. Just as someday, if you have something to offer, someone will learn something from you. It's a beautiful reciprocal arrangement. And it isn't education. It's history. It's poetry.”

J.D. Salinger
“when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "Fuck you" right under your nose.”

J.D. Salinger
“I like it when somebody gets excited about something. It's nice.”