Matt's Reviews > Flowers for Algernon

3702050
May 12, 10

bookshelves: science-fiction, classic-literature, favorites
Read from May 10 to 12, 2010

I have never been quite so sucker punched and left feeling absolutely depressed as I am from having finished Daniel Keyes much-loved semi-sci-fi classic "Flowers for Algernon." Keyes weaves a perfect story, through the eyes of the main character Charlie Gordon.

"Flowers for Algernon" tells the story of a mentally handicapped janitor, Charlie Gordon, who is chosen for an experimental procedure to be the first human test of an operation that would make him brilliant. The story is told through "progress reports" that Charlie writes in the time leading up to and during the experiment, as he goes from a dim-witted but kindhearted child to a man of brilliance that even surpasses that of the professors responsible for his transformation.

The major turning point in the story is when the most successful animal test subject, a little white mouse named Algernon, suddenly begins to experience severe adverse affects to the experimentation. Charlie is forced to accept the fact that his new-found brilliance might not be permanent, while fighting through an emotional immaturity that doesn't go away as his I.Q. rises.

I can't stress enough how much I loved this book. I love this book so much, that I don't think I will be able to trust or relate to at all anyone I ever meet who says that they DIDN'T like this book. I am skeptical of even recommending this book to friends, because I am afraid I won't like them anymore if they don't like this book. I hope that feeling subsides after a while, but right now, I think it exhibits exactly how outstanding this book is.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers for Algernon.

05/10/2010 page 62
21.68% "This is probably literally the saddest book I have ever read, and I'm not even a third done."
05/11/2010 page 153
53.5% "This is a really outstanding book, even if it makes me hate life."
05/12/2010 page 204
71.33% "Hasn't lost any steam yet, kind of want to sit and finish it tonight."
show 1 hidden update…