Sarah's Reviews > Gathering Blue

May 10, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: iteach
Read from July 04 to 06, 2010

This was a good book… on its own. Written as a sequel, or companion novel, to the Giver, however, it pales in comparison and falls far short of my expectations. For people who have read the Giver, readers were given and left with certain impressions about futuristic society. Gathering Blue breaks all these impressions and presents a completely different view of future society. I think the author did a huge injustice to both The Giver and to Gathering Blue by saying that they take place in same universe and time frame. A reader would never know (if they had not been told), since the two books have absolutely nothing in common. As an avid reader – The Giver being one of my favorite books from my childhood – I’m choosing to ignore this book’s link to The Giver, and am returning my copy of Messenger (the third book in the so called series) back to the library without even opening it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gathering Blue.

message 1: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Let me know what you end up thinking about this. I've heard that many fans of The Giver hate this book b/c it ruins the best parts of The Giver and takes away from it.

Sarah I know you told me not to read it for that very reason, but curiousity got the better of me. I just have to know.

message 3: by Carrie (new) - added it

Carrie Aw man, that stinks! I didn't even know that there was a third one. Yikes! Thanks for reading it and being the guinea pig.