Sarah's Reviews > Sarah's Key

bookshelves: world-war-two, hot-lit
Recommended to Sarah by: Hannah and Meghan
Recommended for: Readers of WWII fiction
Read from May 10 to 12, 2010 , read count: 1

Like the characters in this book, I knew nothing about the Vel' d'Hiv roundup, where thousands of Jewish families were arrested by French police and sent to internment camps, and eventually to Auschwitz to the gas chambers. I never learned about this particular piece of world history in school. The people Julia speaks to in the book say they don't want to remember, it was a long time ago, they just want to forget it. I'm sure that attitude truly exists, and I say shame on them! If we allow ourselves to forget that this kind of thing really happens, then we open ourselves to the possibility that it could happen again.

This reminded me a lot of the Japanese internment that took place in our own country. American citizens of Japanese descent were rounded up by American police and FBI and sent to internment camps. While these camps were not death camps like Auschwitz, the conditions were still horrible and something no American citizen should have had to endure at the hands of their own countrymen. And, like the Vel' d'Hiv, I did not learn about the Japanese internment in school. No one wants to think about it. No one wants to remember it. Not even my own grandfather, who was interned when he was a child. He hardly ever talks about it.

As for the book, it was very good. It was a fast-paced, gripping read. I didn't really care for the ending, however. I thought it was a little too neat. But I'm glad I read it and learned something about what humans are capable of.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sarah's Key.

05/10/2010 page 1
0.34% "Hopefully I can read this in a day so I can give it back to Miss Hannah..."
show 2 hidden updates…