Richard Howard's Reviews > The Brethren

The Brethren by John Grisham

M_50x66
Sep 13, 10

Read from September 09 to 10, 2010

As with most Grisham novels, this was a high paced drama involving law/politics/conspiracy.

In this one we meet three ex-judges that have been incarcerated in a minimum security prison, who are put in charge of sorting out inmate disputes. On the side these judges start a letter scam where they run an advert in a gay magazine and attempt to blackmail people that respond to it.

In a parallel story the presidential race is stolen when a previously almost unknown Aaron Lake is picked out by the director of the CIA, told that he should run on the promise to double military spending, and whilst being unpopular at first the CIA would cause a number of situations to make it look prophetic.

The two stories cross when Lake is caught in the mail scam.

The story was reminiscent of The Appeal with the election of an official being manipulated by unseen well funded shadow figures. I felt it did not end with quite the punch that he normally delivers. I am not sure which side would have counted as the "good guys", so I found myself not knowing who I was rooting for, and it seemed neither did the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brethren.