Tatiana's Reviews > Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn

Jun 08, 10

bookshelves: mysteries-thrillers-horror, 2010, only-i-will-like
Recommended to Tatiana by: Rachel Michaux
Recommended for: fans of all things disturbing
Read from June 05 to 06, 2010

As seen on The Readventurer

If you ask me which words come into my mind first whenever I think of this book, my answer will be: nasty, dark, twisted, disturbing.

In this rather traumatizing psychological thriller Camille Preaker, a troubled newspaper reporter, is sent to her home town to get the inside scoop on the murders of two preteen girls - both were strangled and had their teeth removed. As we follow Camille on her quest to obtain as much information as possible about the crimes, we learn much more than we bargained for. The small town of Wind Gap, in the fashion of Twin Peaks, is filled to the brim with dark secrets, and not the least of them is the twisted dynamics in Camille's own family...

For me the most remarkable aspect of this book is that Gillian Flynn succeeds in creating a novel main characters of which are nasty women. I am so used to books where women are victims and all evil is committed by bad, bad men. Not so in Sharp Objects. Women of Wind Gap are both victims and perpetrators, they are promiscuous and abusive, self-destructive and violent. Men are only fixtures in their lives and pawns in their sick games. If anything, this is a refreshing twist on the old tired genre of murder mystery.

I liked the psychological aspect of this novel as well. Flynn skillfully portrays how differently people react to the abuse in their lives - some direct the pain onto themselves, some inflict it on others - and both are equally damaging to one's psyche.

I definitely wouldn't recommend Sharp Objects to squeamish. There is a lot of disturbing stuff in this book - promiscuous young girls, self-mutilation, sexual abuse, drugs. This is not a comfort read by any means. However I found it fascinating (in a I-can't-stop-watching-this-train-wreck way) and hard to put down. I will certainly read Flynn's other novel - Dark Places. Well, as soon as I psychologically recover from Sharp Objects.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharp Objects.

06/05/2010 page 1
06/06/2010 page 120
44.12% "Really enjoying this twisted and disturbing story."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat Kennedy (new)

Kat Kennedy Okay, I definitely fall into the squeamish category, but I'm glad YOU liked it!

Tatiana I am up for any kind of gore, as long as there are no animals involved. I can't handle reading about animals being mistreated.

Roshini Even I found this book a little disturbing, especially when it came to what these girls were capable of doing to one another. Having said that, Gillian Flynn definitely seems to be a writer to watch out for.

Rachel Great review! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Tatiana I really enjoyed it, as much as such a twisted story can be enjoyed, of course:)

Thank you for suggesting it to me. I am planning to read Dark Places too.

message 6: by Robotbee (new)

Robotbee You MUST read Dark Places! I read Sharp Objects first, and wish I had read it second because it is slightly better and I am a pleasure delayer, but anyway, these books are the kind of books that either you GET (and therefore love) or DON'T get (and therefore hate). Sorry, haters!

Lauren great review!!!

message 8: by Barry (new) - added it

Barry Enjoyed your review. The book is now on my want to read list with about 90 other books but, sooner or later, I'll get to it. Thanks

message 9: by CNA (new) - rated it 4 stars

CNA Angel My favorites were Gone Girl and Dark Places only because Sharp Objects was a little slow in the beginning. HOWEVER this book by far had the best ending. I was sitting there reading with a dropped jaw at the end. Brutal and I loved every minute of it!