Victoria's Reviews > Carry Me Home

Carry Me Home by Sandra Kring

Oct 15, 11

bookshelves: family, lit-fic
Read on October 15, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Well, I have some rather mixed feelings about this book. As a whole, I did like the plot and the premise. I haven't read very many books set in America during WWII, and I think this is the first book that I have read that mentions, let alone features, a character who experienced life in a P.O.W. camp in Japan. I felt like this was well handled and made for an accurate depiction of what these men suffered through both there and on their return home. Honestly, I wish the book had focused more on this because it was definitely the strongest part of the book.

Earwig, the narrator, grew on me after a while, but it felt like Kring just tried too hard to "make him a man." The constant foul language and his obsession with breasts became very old, very quickly. It takes a lot of language to bother me and reading this the language became a constant distraction.

In addition, I rapidly got sick of the shoddy grammar. I understand the reasoning behind it, to give Earwig a voice, but it was just too annoying after the first few chapters. I mean, kudos for consistency, but I would have been a lot happier if that had been toned down a bit. About midway through, I started to regret buying this and thinking that maybe I would just rent the audio version to finish it, because surely hearing constant verb-noun disagreement would be more palatable, but after reading a few more sentences I was quickly reminded that hearing the word "titty" every couple of sentences would be much more offensive than seeing it in print.

Leslie Kagen, another WI writer, handled a similar narrator and even sexuality, with a lot more finesse and overall elegance in Land of One Hundred Wonders. So, I would recommend that book over this one. It really is a shame, though, because this book could have been so much more enjoyable from a different P.O.V., or a the very least a less offensive and repetitive vocabulary.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Carry Me Home.