Steven Jones's Reviews > Maus II : And Here My Troubles Began

Maus II  by Art Spiegelman

M 50x66
May 10, 10

Read in May, 2010

The main appeal of this text, as it often is with graphic novels, is that it provides readers to read about a topic that is often not portrayed in such a genre. The use of drawings in Maus gives a very unique perspective to Art Speigelman's (or really, his father's) story. The book is interesting, as is to be expected from a biographical telling of the Holocaust, and is brutally honest, both in the telling of Spiegelman's father's story and in the retelling of Spiegelman's struggle in writing the story and his relationship with his father.

I wouldn't really consider this a YAL book, especially because it is not written from a young person's perspective. However, I do think, being a graphic novel, it provides a unique way to introduce young people into this very serious subject. Of course, the stories in this book are filled with gruesome details, but none that would not be present in other texts about the Holocaust. To be honest, my biggest issue with this book was the small, and sometimes sloppily written text. I know it's a small thing to complain about, but these books often gave me a headache.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maus II .