Pamela's Reviews > Spindle's End

May 26, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult
Read from May 10 to 26, 2010

As a retelling of the "Sleeping Beauty" fairytale, this book is interesting--it takes the source material and twists it and transforms it, mostly in a wonderful way. The characters were lively and likable. But there was a tone here that bugged me; it was like the book tried to be witty at the reader's expense, and the bits that were obviously supposed to be humorous and witty were just that: obvious. For me, the tone often fell flat. And there were so many unanswered questions, at least for me. I have huge problems with the antagonist's motivation (where was it?) and with much of the ending, in general. This is, unfortunately, a thing that has begun to bug me with this writer's books--by no means do I believe that she has to wrap up every single thread in her endings, but I think that sometimes, she sacrifices reader satisfaction for brevity. I dearly love several of McKinley's books (The Blue Sword, The Hero and the Crown, and Sunshine chief among them), but for me, Spindle's End was not a fun read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spindle's End.