Carin's Reviews > Three Men in a Boat

Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome

Jun 08, 2011

bookshelves: school-books, british, classics, my-1001-books, humor
Read in January, 1994

I never would have expected to read one of the funniest novels of my life as assigned reading in a 200-level college English class. And I sure wouldn't have expected it be over 100 years old and to star a dog and some very stinky cheese. It's not the kind of funny that you can give to just anyone - I think a good appreciation of English humor is a must, but I remember howling with laughter. I have also passed this along to a couple of friends with great results. And naturally, as I did in fact read this for a college class, there are themes and metaphors and great writing, if you're into any of that stuff. But you can also read it just for a laugh.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Men in a Boat.

Quotes Carin Liked

Jerome K. Jerome
“I can't sit still and see another man slaving and working. I want to get up and superintend, and walk round with my hands in my pockets, and tell him what to do. It is my energetic nature. I can't help it.”

Jerome K. Jerome
“But who wants to be foretold the weather? It is bad enough when it comes, without our having the misery of knowing about it beforehand.”

Jerome K. Jerome
“How good one feels when one is full -- how satisfied with ourselves and with the world! People who have tried it, tell me that a clear conscience makes you very happy and contented; but a full stomach does the business quite as well, and is cheaper, and more easily obtained.”
tags: humor

Jerome K. Jerome
“Let your boat of life be light, packed with only what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, one or two friends, worth the name, someone to love and someone to love you, a cat, a dog, and a pipe or two, enough to eat and enough to wear, and a little more than enough to drink; for thirst is a dangerous thing. ”

Jerome K. Jerome
“Everything has its drawbacks, as the man said when his mother-in-law died, and they came down upon him for the funeral expenses.”
tags: humor

Jerome K. Jerome
“If he were a man of strong mind, it only gave him fits; but a person of mere average intellect it usually sent mad.”

Jerome K. Jerome
“I don't understand German myself. I learned it at school, but forgot every word of it two years after I had left, and have felt much better ever since.”

Jerome K. Jerome
“Montmorency’s ambition in life, is to get in the way and be sworn at. ”

Jerome K. Jerome
“Splendid cheeses they were, ripe and mellow, and with a two hundred horse-power scent about them that might have been warranted to carry three miles, and knock a man over at two hundred yards. ”

Jerome K. Jerome
“It always does seem to me that I am doing more work than I should do.  It is not that I object to the work, mind you; I like work: it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours.  I love to keep it by me: the idea of getting rid of it nearly breaks my heart.”