Sean Randall's Reviews > Freedom™

Freedom™ by Daniel Suarez

M_50x66
May 10, 10

Read in May, 2010

"Shen turned to General Zhang, but spoke to everyone. 'Let me tell you what your system is, Mr. Haverford. It's a six-billion-dollar... how do you Americans say it? Oh yes: clusterfuck.'"

The superbly spun ending to the can of worms unleashed in deamon, this title charts the uprising of the "darknet" and the governmental and military efforts to thwart the revolution. there's an almost heinlein-Like reverence for the Constitution and what it stood for, but an absolute vehemence that the powers of today no longer represent those ideals.

'Betraying America doesn't require a conspiracy'.

The action is nonstop, the characters meaningful and the ending thought-provoking and curiously satisfying.

I've never thrown my all into these end-of-the-world by technology capers - neither of the recent ones having made me stop and think (those being by Cory Doctorow and Nick Sagan. But there's no denying that Suarez' writing is compelling and his vision terrifying, and depending on your personality you can be kept up scared, learn something from this, or both.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Freedom™.