Sophie's Reviews > Aurelie: A Faerie Tale

Jul 06, 2014

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, 2010, fantasy, urban-fantasy, young-adult, reviews
Read in January, 2010

Thanks to FirstReads for this signed copy of Aurelie. As usual the mystical algorithms have provided me with a book that I should like... but I'm not sure that I did.

I think for me the big problem has to do with character development. Given the page time and title role, I don't feel like I connected with Aurelie at all. Honestly the few chapters told from other characters' points of view had more depth, but even then I found it odd that the perspective shifted the way it did. Great, tell the story from different perspectives... but since so much of the story is forcing this mighty foursome unity, why are most of the chapters - and the book, for that matter - titled Aurelie?

It seems to me that the world in Aurelie was interesting, and the plot could have been very good. But it felt weak - like reaching for the heights of Tamora Pierce with a quarter of the page space. Neither plot line - the war or the relationship between the four friends - got the attention it deserved, and for me the half-hearted attempts to do both just didn't cut it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Aurelie.