Donna's Reviews > Blood Born

bookshelves: paranormal-romance, 2010-read
Recommended to Donna by: 1
Read from May 10 to 13, 2010, read count: 1

My Rating: 3.5/5

Blood Born is the first book for me to read by either Linda Howard or Linda Jones. It has a lot promise to be a fascinating series in the world of vampires and the supernatural. The vampires are both beautiful and terrifying with their fair share of rotten apples. I like that because you never know what to expect from the vampires and the fact that they are all not beautiful to refreshing. There was also a mixture of other preternatural characters which I love to see in story, this keeps things fresh and open to so many possibilities.

The characters' actions were entertaining and had a they had a multitude of colorful personalities. The plot well thought out and kept me wanting more, the pages kept turning even when one of my peeves about a book kept cropping up. It's what kept me yo-yoing between "I like this story" to "I love this story."

The peeve was this story had the characters internalize their thoughts far more then what was necessary to the story. It made getting to the intriguing part of the story seem like awhile coming. I feel if some of the characters' rambling thoughts could of been cut out the story, it would of been more than terrific. I would of been beyond giddy with excitement for this series.

All in all though, there is so much going and so much to explore in this new series that when Warrior Rising comes out next Spring, I'll be reading it with hopes some of the internal monologues will be toned down.

Cover Note: I love the look of model for this cover. He has the most interesting and scrumptious jawline and mouth. *fans self*
4 likes • Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood Born.

05/12/2010 page 139
29.83% "Starting to get to the really good stuff now!"

message 1: by new_user (new)

new_user How is it? I was going to pick it up, but I'm not that interested in Jones' work.

Donna This is my first book to read by either of these authors. So far it's very detailed and I like it but I'm not completely bowled over by it. I do like the writing style though. Verdict is still out... ;)

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Great Review! I'm reading this one right now and I love it. Although I couldn't agree with you more about the "too much of internalized thoughts" this is one of my pet peeves as well, but it is tolerable in this book. Thank God! In the very beginning I was a bit impatient but glad I held in there.

I bought this book last night on a whim at the store. I'm on page 246 now. Can't put it down! Hopefully it continues to get better :)

Donna Thanks Ebone! In the end, my overall feelings for this book is I really liked it and look forward to the next book in this new series. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Same here, Donna. I haven't read anything by either authors. After reading your thoughts, I am curious as to how I will feel. So far, so good though. ;)

Donna J. Kaye!! Hey there! I did like the thrills in this book other than the drawn out/long winded thoughts by characters. I hope you do like this one.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Donna, I am almost midway through. I so agree. She could have cut some of the text out to make it more intense, but I am liking it. It's a bit different or is to me. Maybe the next book will be a little better...I read that it's scheduled out in 2011. Before then, I plan to read one of her other books to compare her writing style.