Nadine Jones's Reviews > Bound by Your Touch

Bound by Your Touch by Meredith Duran

Jun 22, 10

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in June, 2010

This book really took me by surprise. It's got a cheesy title and a tawdry cover, so I didn't expect much (I know, I know, but I DO still judge books by their covers). To my delighted surprise, I discovered that this book has a lot more in common w/ Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody mysteries than it does w/ a trashy romance. I stayed up far too late reading this. I positively fell in love with the two main characters. Perhaps, if I'd been expecting it to be good, if I'd not been reading it in the wee hours, if I just hadn't been in the mood I was in, I wouldn't have loved it as much. I don't know. I DO know that anyone who enjoys regency romances will thoroughly enjoy this book.

In the prologue, Lydia believes herself in love w/ George, but he proposes to her sister instead. She feels understandably betrayed. (The book does a good job of NOT going overboard with this - it treads that fine line.) Lydia becomes a 26 year old bookish spinster as her two younger sisters become engaged and married. She manages her father's business as he spends his time in Egypt researching antiquities. She meets the fake rake (aren't they always? - sorry, in this, the book is trite) James (who just HAPPENS to be a Viscount) when she publicly declares his latest acquisition to be a forgery. They keep running into each other, and keep provoking each other, until naturally they end up in a passionate embrace; because this is, after all, a romance, so you knew THAT was coming. What makes it so wonderful is how real the characters feel. I couldn't always empathize with them, but I could always understand why they might act and feel as they do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound by Your Touch.