Kelly Hager's Reviews > Something, Maybe

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott

F_50x66
May 10, 10

Read in April, 2009

I really liked this book (even more than Stealing Heaven, which I read earlier this year). I think Elizabeth Scott's books tend to sneak up on you. They're entertaining enough at the beginning but usually (for me) about halfway through, I realize I'm having a really hard time doing anything that isn't reading that particular book.

Anyway. :)

This is about Hannah, who has the misfortune of being the only child of two very distinctive parents. Her dad is a Hugh Hefner-type, a man in his 70s who is surrounded by beautiful women all the time and who has next to no time for her. And her mom? She lived with Hannah's dad when she was 19. Once she was legally able to drink, they ended things. Except her mom (the unfortunately named Candy) was two months pregnant. Now Candy supports herself and Hannah by webchats where she wears very, very little. (It's best not to think about it; I didn't.)

So Hannah works to be invisible. She wears huge, baggy clothes and has a crush on her coworker, Josh. Josh seems to be the exact opposite of her father--he reads and writes poetry and can talk at length on exactly why the world is so messed up and has ideas on how to fix it. She also works with Finn, who is smart and sarcastic and makes fun of Josh all the time.

Very sweet love story. And Sarah Dessen liked it, too. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something, Maybe.